Wednesday, October 29, 2008

NBA: First Glance

Glance it was, and only a glance. My son got two shots for his 15 month checkup so he was unhappy and I was all too happy to give him attention last night. Nonetheless, the NBA season began anew. Here are my brief notes.

Cavs: I like the combo of LeBron, Delonte, and Mo. Delonte can score, but I always thought of him as a playmaker. He can guard the two. The only problem with this lineup is that it leaves the bench without a playmaker. If Mike Brown can keep either Mo or Delonte in the game at all times, though, this shouldn't be a problem.

Celts: KG reminds me of championship-era Wilt. Stats lacking, but wins abound. He could see his stats drop to about 16 and 7 this year, but those would be the most important 16 points and 7 rebounds in the league. Tony Allen and Powe are going to be electric off the bench. My only wonder was how Allen would recover from the knee injury -- athleticism is an important part of his game. He looked good.

Bulls and Bucks: Flawed teams. If each were to be reborn as presently constructed, but under different astrological signs, either could be a playoff team. Neither will do anything this year, though, not unless Rose has an unusually excellent season for a rookie point guard, or if Bogut finds his inner Moses Malone.

Lakers: As a long-time Laker hater, it pains me to admit that they intrigue me this year. I like the twin towers. I like the Farmar, Odom, Ariza bench. I like that they look like they're having fun.

Blazers: I only wish I had written it down. Oden got hurt. I knew from preseason that his road to ROY would be derailed by injury. I am a big fan of Oden, having marveled at his dominance with his dominant hand wrapped and useless during his solo year at Ohio State. It's not fair to compare him to Shaq or Dwight Howard. Those guys were gifted with imperviousness in their youth. If Shaq had been treated fairly by the refs all those years and had not needed to put on a layer of padding, I am sure he would not have had the serial injuries that have plagued him since toe surgery back in his LA days. Oden should emulate Duncan and let his skills, brains, and footwork define his game. It is not easy to appreciate, but the way Duncan moves his feet to keep a penetrating defender away from the basket is just amazing.

Tonight: NBA on ESPN. If Bill Walton is calling either game, I'm going to consult a lawyer about getting an injunction against the network on a public nuisance theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment