Thursday, May 14, 2009

What Now?

If the chatter is correct, and the big money behind the recent rally was mostly composed of short covers, then we're in for a pullback. Day traders got confused by the rally and ran up the prices on financials and oil. Both are under-valued, but both are suspect for quality. I still believe that oil prices will skyrocket again in the future, but the short run prospects are hard to gauge. I think I would get excited if a barrel of crude came back down to about $45.

Financials, though. Why not go to Vegas? Well, there's a reason financials are better than gambling: the gov't is backing them. Part of me thinks that a basket of about 19 financials corresponding to the big TARP institutions would stand to grow about 500% over the next fifteen years. But that's a big risk. No one knows what will become of the industry -- will consolidation wash out the weaker players? Will regulation kill the risk, and therefore the profit potential? I, for one, wouldn't touch the financials unless I had money to burn.

I still stand my statement that the market bottomed in March. The economy, meanwhile, is still losing. My intuitive take is that we will not see a full recovery for about a decade. Interestingly, this corresponds with the (now former) head economist of Merrill Lynch's analysis. Rosenberg thinks we're at the halfway point of an 18 year bull market. Good times all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment